Skip to main content

Madrid

Since more than three weeks I am back home in Germany. It happened not much. Going for a walk with the dogs, going to the cinema here, making a tour with the bike there aso. But this weekend I've been to Madrid to visit Cris and Gema. It was the first time I've been in Spain. I even have never been in France. And never in a big city like this. I guess, Stockholm has been the biggest. And it is so beautiful! I arrived at Friday evening and stayed until Monday afternoon. Therefore, at Saturday and Sunday Gema, Cris and Alex (Gema's flatmate) showed me the city. And I loved that. I don't like to be a tourist, to see places everybody sees and to make pictures everybody makes to say with the same words, how beautiful it was. On the other side, there exist places everybody who has been in Madrid should have seen. Thanks to my friends, I had both. Individual Madrid and classical Madrid.
On Saturday Alex, Cris, Gema and I made a sightseeing trip and walked from one famous place to another. Like tourists. But with them it was special. Individual. Original. We visited the chapel, the palace, saw theatres and a lot of monuments. The main streets of Madrid are of cars like you would imagine for a city with far more than 5 million inhabitants. But when you leave one of those streets you are imidiately in a lovely small road as quite as in the Gammla Stan in Stockholm.
Sunday, I saw the Ground Zero of the 11M attacks and visited a big park. For lunch we had Spanish tapa, of course. I love it. Nobody has an own plate, just a fork and a knife and then you eat together from every plate each with a different food. In the evening we made a preparty in Gema's tiny room and went out at midnight to a pub. We came home at four in the morning. Sweden should definitely think about its opening times for pubs.
Of course, I saw some funny things, too. For example: traffic lights do not seem to be compulsory. In rush hours they need policemen at the middle of the crossroads to show the drivers to stop when the light is traffic light becomes red. But I felt comfortable. Before I heard, Spain would be crazy. But it wasn't. It has been a relief. It has been like three old erasmus days again. Some of the best erasmus days.
And my trips are not over yet. Maybe this week, but definitely this weekend, I will go to Aachen. To Leipzig next week and in two weeks I will be back in Sundsvall.
Madrid - Saturday

Madrid - Sunday

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aller guten Dinge sind drei

On Friday we had a party at Norrmalms. And because the party room looses power at 12pm everybody had to bring candles. Cool idea. In the morning I felt a little bit dizzy. I guess, due to Matt's Whiskey-Coke. At a Whiskey-Cola by Matt Coke is only used for giving the Whiskey a slightly darker color. On Saturday we have been to Kårhuset the first time since weeks, because Marcolino, Thomas and Jens were working there for the first time all together on one evening. And surprisingly the party it was very good. First we conquered a private party at the upper floor. It was meant for some Swedish students, but they were already drunk and not caring about who enters the dinner room. And they had a cool Live-band who played only good rock. They stopped at half past 1 and the last two hours we sticked to the usual dance floor who did not have the usual annoying Swedish chart music. I cannot recall what they were playing, because most songs I did not know, but it was funny. Somehow, this se...

First week

Now it has been almost a week since I came back and I remember why: because of the summer. It is the most beautiful season here. And I tried to take advantage of the weather. I got a new bicycle for I changed my small blue one with Anna's big yellow bike. Funny, it is the same modell as mine in Germany - just bigger. My first ride was to Sidsjön two days ago to have a picknick there. The day after I repaired the brakes and today I bought a new lock and oil for the chain. This evening it rained and tomorrow shall be the ugly weather, too. I want to try to use the next sunny day for a small tour. Probably the road along Sidsjön out of Sundsvall.

Ut

Emptying the room you spend your erasmus studies in is a strange feeling. My room I had for 50 weeks, after having lived 6 months in 20A. Almost one year in this little cabin. Seeing the room finally empty is not that strange. It even holds something exciting, since it means you move on. But carrying your stuff piece by piece out of the room is like watching a picture book from old times. It is not really a sad feeling, but you remember a lot of small things that seemed to be forgotten. But all my stuff did not vanish, of course. It just moved further to the living room, a place where almost every leaving exchange student has to spend some time. For me it will be a week. And it is not such a mess as it should be used for me. All in all I do not have so much stuff as I had expected. I guess it will fit all in this old crappy suitcase I have. However, I look forward to packing, for it means I will have to sort a lot of things out I would not look at again, anyway. And the stuff that rema...